Is This Minnesota’s Best Soup Recipe?
I love soup! (Making soup. Eating Soup. Dipping bread in soup.) According to the team at Taste of Home, this is the highest-rated soup recipe from their readers in Minnesota.
By the way, the top soups according to our neighbors are:
- Iowa: Chicken Gnocchi Pesto Soup
- North Dakota: Makeover Beef & Potato Soup
- South Dakota: Cheddar Ham Chowder
- Wisconsin: Tasty-Italian Vegetable Soup
Minnesota: Cheesy Meatball Soup
Taste of Home reader review:
With meat, potatoes and other vegetables, this rich-tasting soup is really a meal in one. Process cheese sauce makes it taste like a cheeseburger. I serve this soup with a nice crusty loaf of French bread. —Ione Sander, Carlton, Minnesota
1 large egg
1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 pound ground beef
2 cups water
1 cup diced celery
1 cup whole kernel corn, drained
1 cup cubed peeled potatoes
1/2 cup sliced carrot
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 beef bouillon cubes
1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
1 jar (16 ounces) process cheese sauce
- In a large bowl, combine egg, bread crumbs and salt. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1-in. balls.
- In a large saucepan, brown meatballs; drain. Add the water, celery, corn, potatoes, carrot, onion, bouillon and hot pepper sauce; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25 minutes or until meat is no longer pink and potatoes are tender. Stir in the cheese sauce; heat through.
1-1/3 cups: 421 calories, 24g fat (15g saturated fat), 118mg cholesterol, 1959mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 26g protein.