Minnesota’s 2021 Fishing Opener This Weekend
Few days in Minnesota are celebrated like the opening weekend of the fishing season. This Saturday marks the start of the 2021 walleye season on our 11,842 lakes. (I know we say 10,000 -- but Minnesotans don't like to brag.)
The State of Minnesota has dropped all outdoor social distancing requirements (unless there's more than 500 people in your boat, then you'll need to wear a mask.) I'll be spending the day on the lake up north. Here are some interesting Minnesota fishing facts.
- Around 500,000 Minnesotans are expected to go fishing this weekend.
- 1.5 million Minnesotans have a fishing license.
- Minnesota Governor's Fishing Opener has been cancelled this year.
- Minnesota anglers spend an average of $1500 each per season.
- According to the DNR, crappies are the most sought after fish in the state.
- The Minnesota DNR has many cool mobile fishing-friendly apps HERE.
- Here are the 2021 Minnesota Fishing Regulations.
- For everything you need regarding fishing in the state, visit the DNR Fishing page.
Saturday's forecast for the Saint Cloud area is Sunny and 67 with a chance of showers & thunderstorms. Visit the 98.1 interactive weather page to access weather forecasts for other areas of Minnesota HERE.
The 2021 Governor's Fishing Opener events will take place in Otter Tail County this Friday through Sunday, while interested Minnesotans are encouraged to participate remotely.
The mission of the 2021 Minnesota Governor’s Fishing Opener is to highlight Otter Tail County’s numerous lakes, the diverse outdoor recreation opportunities and welcoming communities while strictly adhering to MDH & CDC guidelines.
Good luck. Have fun. Be safe. Catch fish! I look forward to hearing how you did on Monday.
CHECK IT OUT: The best county to live in for each state