MnDOT’s 511 System Helps Navigate During a Winter Storm
With another snowfall impacting Minnesota, the Minnesota Department of Transportation reminds you that they've added some new features to their 511 traveler information system.
Some of the new features include:
- Personalize your 511, where you can enter up to 20 routes that you travel regularly.
- Smart 511, where you sign-up online and then enter your phone number to get information sent to you.
- Citizen Reporting, where you can submit driving conditions where you are.
- Traffic delay, which shows if there are any delays on your route due to a crash, construction, other incidents.
- Plow Cams, where you can see what the plow drivers are seeing.
MnDot Adds this regarding snow plow safety:
Snowplows travel much slower than the posted speeds because it is most effective for clearing roads. The driver’s field of vision is severely restricted behind the truck, and the driver must rely on mirrors to see to the rear and side of the truck.
Be patient, and remember snowplows are working to improve road conditions for your trip.
Stay back at least 10 car lengths between your vehicle and a plow.
Pete Hanson is on 98.1 Minnesota's New Country weekday mornings from 5:30 to 10:00.
13 Things That Would Be Hard to Explain to Someone From 2019