Skip the Coronavirus Panic, Prepare by Having This at Home
Everywhere you look the coronavirus is in the news -- and for good reason. As of now there have been nearly 100,000 confirmed cases worldwide. Experts agree that panic is foolish, but preparedness is key.
A the time of this story, there have been 233 cased reported in the U.S. resulting in 14 deaths.
It's not hard to get worked up and worried. Flip through the channels and you're guaranteed to see the coronavirus in some form or another. NBC, CBS, CNN, ABC, FOX, MSNBC...and on, and on, and on.
If there's one common message from the experts, "panic is foolish -- being prepared is wise." So let's be prepared.
Here's what the Department of Homeland Security says we should have on hand for the possible coronavirus pandemic:
- Have a 2 week supply of food for your family.
- Store a 2 week supply of water for your family.
- Check to make sure you have enough of your prescription medicine.
- Have non prescription over the counter medicines handy such as pain relievers, fever reducers, cough medicine, stomach remedies, fluids with electrolytes (like Pedialyte) on hand.
- Get copies of your health records, and maintain electronic documentation
- Speak with your family about how to safely care for someone who is suffering from symptoms of the illness which include coughing, fever, and shortness of breath
The good news is that this is pretty simple stuff, and not too expensive. You know what they say about an ounce of prevention.
NEXT: Watch Interesting Coronavirus Video (+ How to Avoid): As fears grow regarding the global spread of the coronavirus, here's a plain-talking video explaining the basics of the virus, and how to avoid getting it.