Phrases That Are Offensive to Vegans . . . And What You Should Say Instead
I get it. There are some situations were we need to be careful what we say and what we do. For example, I don't believe we need to be using animals for fur anymore but I think this goes a little to far when it comes to being "PC".
Someone posted vegan-friendly, PETA approved alternate terms to common phrases. If you think this is ridiculous, I agree. If you want to be taken seriously with things that really matter, don't be pushing stuff like this.
Below are the old phrases followed by what you should say...
- Replace "kill two birds with one stone" with "feed two birds with one SCONE."
- Replace "take the bull by the horns" with "take the flower by the thorns."
- Replace "there's more than one way to skin a cat" with "there's more than one way to peel a potato."
- Replace "you let the cat out of the bag" with "you spilled the beans."
- Replace "be the guinea pig" with “be the test tube.”
- Replace "opened a can of worms" with "opened Pandora's box."
- Replace "all your eggs in one basket" with "all your berries in one bowl."
- Replace "beating a dead horse" with "feeding a FED horse."
PETA says on it's website...
While these phrases may seem harmless, they carry meaning and can send mixed signals to students about the relationship between humans and animals and can normalise abuse.
Check out the story from Metro.